Pray and breathe!

Keeping POSITIVE is my daily goal but sometimes it is hard when there are so many negative things going on around me. How do I stay positive in a world that breeds negativity? Well we will see if I can manage it! It is hard but not impossible. First thing is to make sure I Pray every chance I get and second........breathe!

Positively Grateful If You Become My Follower!

About Me

My photo
Just a Hispanic Jersey girl living in the South and trying to stay positive every day!

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Daring To Drive

     Driving remains last on my “favorite things to do” list. Though I prefer someone else drive, necessity obligates me to grin and bear it.  My teen years began the propagation of the fears of driving.  My dislike of driving stems from the loss of a dear friend from a collision with an 18 wheel tractor trailer truck.  It showed inevitable, the day my mother would say, that it was time for me to learn to drive and to get my driver’s license.  The Horror!  No, I was not your typical teenager!   
     Usually, at least when I was young, teens chomped at the bit to get the keys of their parent’s car and get comfy behind the wheel.  By having their driver’s license, teens felt the power of finally having the freedom to go places on their own without the presence of parental authority sullying their plans.   All around me friends and classmates reveled in the success of passing the driving test while shaking their car keys in the air tightly grasped in their fists. 
     The knot in the pit of my stomach grew tighter with each viewed celebration. I made up excuses of why it was not the right time to learn how to drive to all who approached the subject of driving.  The delay stretched out as long as I could take it when I ran out of excuses and was finally confronted with facing my fears.  It suffices to say that with such a dislike and a lack of enthusiasm for driving, I went through three driving teachers throughout my training period.  With each practice driving session my distress of the foreseeable driving test soared.  My first two instructors, my mother and sister, suddenly became too “busy” to teach me after a few “close calls”.  I did not blame them, I was pretty freaked out too when I almost hit those two cars while trying to make a left turn.   Disheartened and petrified my third and final coach came in to the mix. 
     My sister’s boyfriend braved the following sessions brilliantly.  Though I never saw him flinch or heard him scream at me in terror, I know I was a horribly lackluster and scary student.  His patience and consistent schooling in the art of driving eventually gave me more confidence that I could pass the driving test once and for all.  The days leading up to the fateful test day were full of prayers and tears.  The terror of driving surpassed that of not passing.  Finally the day arrived; of course it had to rain! 
     So rain would be my undoing!  My mother drove me to the test as I sat in the car frozen and staring at the rain drops snaking down the passenger window.  I just concentrated on the drops and said prayers the whole way to the test center.  Once the tester joined me in the vehicle I took a deep breath and just imagined my coach in the seat next to me and went on my way.  Before I knew it I was back at the test center successfully parallel parking.  It was over.  I glanced over to the rain soaked sidewalk where two women jumped up and down under umbrellas with wide smiles on their faces; my mom and probably some other teens mom.   The tester handed me a paper and said, “Congratulations!”  It was over! 

     Following the driving test I remember my mom getting in passenger seat asking me to drive home and I responded by saying “no way”!  It is so funny now thinking back to that time in my life.  I say funny because now my daughter and niece are at the age where they are preparing for the driver’s test.  My daughter, very much like me, is very reluctant to practice driving.  My niece on the other hand, whose father by the way was my last driving coach, cannot wait to get behind the wheel.  My daughter has in no way the same reason for disliking driving as I did but dislikes it just the same.  It gets me to wonder if the reason for the disinterest in driving is due to real fears or lack of interest in driving due to the rising of the use of modern technology to do everything.  Most teens in the modern era prefer to study, shop, interact and play on their computers rather than drive to the mall as I did when I was young.  Either way my work is cut out for me with teaching my daughter how to drive.  I never imagined that I would ever have to teach someone else how to drive!  The wisdom I hope to impart to my daughter and my niece is that whatever it may be, driving, school or work, take a deep breath, say a prayer, give it your all and give it a chance!  You may not initially be good at it but practice makes perfect and you will be a better person for having tried!  Have a positively blessed day!!

No comments:

How to

So you want to know how to be more positive? It will take practice and dedication but it is well worth it. Hey listen no one is perfect, after all we are only human, we will falter but trying is the first step to a better, less stressed, more positive you!



THINK DO BE

THINK DO BE

11 ways to become positive

Here are 11 steps for a more positive you that I read on http://www.advancedlifeskills.com/

1. Think Gratitude=focus on your blessings

2. Choose Happiness=choose to be happy

3. Substitute challenges for problems=focus your attention on positive outcomes

4. View life as a journey=look forward to new and unfamiliar experiences

5. Stop and smell the roses=enjoy the simple things in life

6. Begin your day on a positive note=focus on the things that bring you joy and take that with you throughout the day
7. Be positively aware=actively search for the positive side of things

8. Act out happy=act like a happy, optimistic person

9. Hang out with positive people=be influenced by optimistic people

10. Do a gratitude review nightly=think of ten things you are truly grateful for

11. Minimize exposure to negative influences= stop watching, listening and reading to the news.

Keep this list handy and use it as a guide to get you on the positive track. If you feel your starting to get negative just review the list and get back on the wagon. After a while it will become second nature and you will be the positive, happy person you want to be.

For the full article on "11 Steps to a More Positive You" by Jonathan at Advanced Life Skills, please click on this link

http://advancedlifeskills.com/blog/11-steps-to-a-more-positive-you/

Armed forces

Armed forces
I would like to send positive thoughts, prayers and many thanks to all the men and women in our United States Armed Forces who support and defend our country around the world! A big Thank you to the family members who support our troops! THANK YOU and GOD BLESS AMERICA!